Summer internships are often available at the Darling Marine Center. Most are geared to upper-level undergraduates. Students from the University of Maine and other academic institutions are welcome to apply. Summer internship opportunities at the DMC will be posted below as they become available.
- The Steneck Lab will hire 2-4 interns to assist in summer fieldwork (May – Aug).
- Research involves using remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) (and scuba diving for qualified interns) to survey 350 km of coastal Maine from MLW to 100.
- We are developing new tools and models to characterize benthic assemblages and coastal seafloor communities for offshore energy siting, Ecosystem Based Fisheries Management and Marine Spatial Planning.
- Interns will operate boats, the ROV, analyze videos, identify and measure dominant macrofauna, and develop geographic information systems (GIS) databases. Opportunities for scientific scuba diving in shallow subtidal areas are available for open water certified divers.
- Room, board and stipend provided but the amount to be determined.
- Undergraduates or recently graduated individuals
- A background in marine/aquatic science and relevant skills are encouraged, but not required.
- Must be able to lift and carry items weighing roughly 40-50lbs.
- Down load additional internship infromation and application form here.
- Contact Jennifer McHenry with questions about the intenships or applciantion procedure.
- Applications due March 8.
Undergraduates looking for summer internship opportunities may find the Pathways to Science undergraduate portal helpful.
Recommend links for job/internships postings in Maine, across the country, and around the world:
- Pathways to Science
- American Society of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO)
- Society of Integrative and comparative Biology (SICB)
- Marine Technology Reporter